We all know that drinking an adequate amount of water is good for us. But what is that adequate amount and what exactly are the benefits? Do we all drink enough water? No, not usually. If we remember we might drink a glass or two but hardly ever the recommended eight glasses a day, and on average we usually grab the coffee, fizzy drink, or beer instead. Well here is a list of 10 reasons why you should be drinking more water.
- Look Younger - Drinking adequate amounts of water hydrates your skin, which means you get the benefits of water hydration like increased skin elasticity and increased skin moisturizing.
- Helps Digestion - Sipping water while eating helps your body to absorb and digest food better. It all starts in the mouth. Water helps produce more saliva and helps carry the food along all of the way through the digestive tract. This then works hand and hand with fiber to help flush out wastes in your body and also raises your metabolism – aiding weight loss
- Concentration - Your brain consists of 90% water. Therefore most of us who don't drink enough water are depriving our brains of what it needs the most. By drinking more water you improve your ability to concentrate, process information, and alertness.
- Headaches - One of the main causes of headaches is dehydration. Stop persistent headaches by staying hydrated and keeping alert.
- Weight Loss - You don’t need to spend money on weight loss pills and aids – water is a proven weight loss aid and is natural and healthy. Drinking water is great for weight loss for a couple of reasons. Water is a wonderful appetite suppressant, as it curbs hunger. Also water helps increase your metabolism that aids in burning calories. If you’re drinking water you won't be thirsty so you won't reach for a sugary soft drink.
- Increase Energy - Water in the body is crucial for better circulation. Oxygen in your bloodstream is increased when your body has been well hydrated. This then leaves more oxygen available to burn fat, which is the critical ingredient in energy production.
- Increased resistance to disease - Chronic cellular dehydration is something that occurs when we don’t drink enough water. With this condition your body is in a constant state of dehydration within each cell. This then leaves us in a vulnerable state, which allows attacks from disease to further weaken our immune system.
- Detoxify - Staying well hydrated helps your body remove harmful toxins. The biggest filter in our bodies is our kidneys. The kidneys are dependent on water for them to be able to work at peak performance. As we age our ability to filter through our kidneys decreases which then makes drinking adequate amounts of water even more paramount to detox our bodies.
- Reduced Risk Of Heart Disease - Research has shown that people who drink water are less likely to succumb to having a heart attack or heart disease. 20,000 healthy people were studied and showed that drinking five cups a day of water is very beneficial to your heart health.
The reasons given are just some of the benefits of drinking water, but how are you going to go about fitting increased water consumption into your day? It is a habit worth getting into, at restaurants ask for a jug of water for the table, at work use a water cooler, or if there is not one available speak to your employer about installing one as it is likely it would help you to get start drinking more water and feeling the benefits.