Water is everywhere, it accounts for a large percentage of the earth’s surface and humans are 70% water. These are both fascinating facts, but they’re quite widely known. Here however, we look at five interesting facts you will probably never have heard before.
- Did you know for example, that hair on your skin can actually hold water droplets? Therefore those of us with hairy legs might find ourselves getting sunburnt a lot more quickly than those with shaved legs!
- On a similar note, and a fact most gardeners are probably well aware of – you should never water your garden during the day as the water can form droplets on leaves. These leaves then act as a nice magnifying glass to the sun, and we know what happens when light is magnified right?
- Drinking eight glasses of water a day is actually an old wives’ tale. While you should definitely keep on top of your water intake, the level suitable for your need will depend on your age, health and the activities you usually participate in day to day.
- Some animals such as gorillas spurn water… ok maybe spurn is a strong word, but they don’t actually need to drink much water because of their vegetarian diet. It is said a gorilla’s diet is almost half water.
- Astronauts’ drinking water is made mostly from recycled urine! Water is heavy, so it’s not advisable to keep lots of it on a shuttle. And though it might sound unappetising, we’re sure the experts at NASA have devised a very effective purification process.