Please read this COVID-19 update - We realise more than ever that protecting your workforce is paramount. We want you to know that we’re taking extra precautions to safeguard our employees and customers as we continue to navigate these uncertain times. Click here to view our FAQs for more information about the Coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19).
We have changed! Effective from the 1st of March, we have changed our name to Waterlogic GB Limited. We have also changed our bank details.
If you currently pay us by Bank Transfer, you will need to update your system to our new account details as of 1st March 2020. However, for payments made to us by Direct Debit or cheque, no action will need to be taken by yourselves.
If you have any concerns or queries about the changes, or just want to find out more please click here.
If the smell of your tap water gives you flashbacks to summers spent by the pool, it’s likely that there’s high levels of chlorine in your drinking water. Chlorine has effective disinfectant properties that help maintain hygienic conditions within public water supply networks. At low levels chroline is perfectly safe, and rarely causes any health problems.
Chlorine is added into our tap water supplies to help reduce the chance of harmful waterborne bacteria spreading through through the water, such as e.coli and the norovirus.
The strength of this chlorine scent will usually depend on the distance of which your public water source is from your building. However the smell can also be affected on the temperature of the water, as colder water can hold on to chlorine for longer.
Over time, chlorinated water will naturally lose its smell, but if preferred using a filtration system will eliminate the odour immediately
In rare occastions high levels of chlorine consumption can have serious health implications
If you're concerned about the levels of chlorine in your tap water we advise you contact local water supplier or contact a plumber
Why does my tap water contain Chlorine?
Many are aware that chlorine is used for water treatment; it’s simply the most cost effective method for treating the many bacteria that could be lurking within public pools and drinking water supplies. In fact chlorine is a disinfectant used by water industries across the world due to its ability to disinfect water of many water-borne diseases and illnesses. As long as chlorine is used at low levels (0.5 mg/l or less) it is perfectly safe. The World Health Organisation has stated that the health risks associated from chlorination by-products are extremely small in comparison with the risks associated with inadequate disinfection.
Chlorine and your health
In most instances the levels of chlorine found in UK water supplies is at levels that cause no issues to health. However it's still important to understand that there are dangers associated with long-term consumption of high levels of chlorine, with links to serious health issues. Studies have shown that those who drink water that has a high chlorine content (around 25mg per litre) have been found can experience side affects such as tiredness, dizziness or headaches. Prolonged consumption at this level has also been related to an increased risk of heart attack.
What should you do if you discover Chlorine in your water?
If you are concerned about the water quality in your area and believe the levels of chlorine may be too high, then you should contact your local water supplier or get in touch with a local plumber.